Formal Introductory Letter

Subject: A brief introduction of myself


Dear Professor Blackstone,


My name is Min Kaung and I am a year 1 mechanical engineering student at SIT. I am writing this letter to introduce myself to you. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic in 2022 with a diploma in aeronautical engineering. I started to gain interest in aeroplanes ever since I first saw aeroplanes when I was young. Since then, I would read up more about aeroplanes online to find out more information such as how the aeroplane flies and the different types of aeroplanes. This interest then led me to pursue further studies in engineering related to aeroplanes. My background in aeronautical engineering gives me a more focused understanding of how mechanical systems may be optimised for performance and efficiency, especially in the aerospace industry, and I believe that this is what makes me different from other people.


One communication weakness that I have is presentation skills as I tend to look at the slides while presenting. This is because I struggle to remember the details of what I am supposed to present and I am also unsure of where to look while speaking. One of the main reasons for this is because I often feel very nervous when I present in front of a large group of people, which causes me to stutter and forget what I intended to say. Therefore, I hope that this module will help to develop my presentation skills and boost my confidence in presenting.


My strength in communication is that I am a good listener. I will always give my full attention to the person that is talking and only express my opinion after they are done talking. For example, when the lecturer is teaching in class and I have questions to ask. I will wait until the lecturer finishes teaching, then I will approach the lecturer to clarify my doubts. I believe that being a good listener is important as before becoming a good communicator, you need to learn how to be a good listener.


I also hope to improve my writing skills through this module as I struggle to make my information concise and concrete. Whenever there is a word limit that I must hit in the report, I often end up writing redundant information as I keep thinking of how to reach the word limit. Thus, I would like to refine my writing skills so that it is clear and easy for people to understand.


Thank you for taking your time to read this letter. I look forward to attending more of your classes.



Yours sincerely,


Min Kaung

 

Comments

  1. Hi Min, it was interesting to read about your passion for aircrafts. Your letter was complete and easily comprehensible. I too feel that my presentations need improvement and i can relate my weakness to yours. I look forward to improving our communication skills in this class

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Min, it was a pleasure reading your letter, and it's great getting to know you better! I loved how you connected your passion for aircraft with your pursuit of mechanical engineering. It's truly inspiring, and I share that interest as well! We can talk more about aircraft throughout our journey in SIT. I know you can achieve the goals you've set out for yourself, and I hope to see you become an even more confident speaker along the way. I look forward to working with you in this module!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Min, good work on the letter, I can really see your love for planes just based on the first paragraph and I think it is good that you're currently on a path where you can fulfil your childhood dream of working with planes. I personally struggle with presentations as I'll get nervous and my mind will blank out at times as well. To overcome this, I would rehearse my presentation multiple times in order to get it drilled into my head and during the presentation itself I'll try to trick my mind into thinking that I'm talking to a small group of friends in order to get rid of my nerves. I hope that at the end of the module, you become a more confident speaker and I'm excited to be on this journey of self-improvement with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Min ! Your email gives a clear introduction and does a great job of explaining your interest in aeroplanes and how it led you to study engineering. Your background in aeronautical engineering is a strong point, and it’s nice that you shared how it sets you apart in understanding mechanical systems.

    It’s good that you’re aware of the areas you want to improve, like your presentation skills. Recognizing that nervousness impacts your performance shows self-awareness, and it’s great that you’re hoping to gain confidence through this module. Your ability to listen carefully is also a valuable communication skill, and it’s clear you understand the importance of paying full attention before responding.

    Your goal to improve your writing by making it clearer and more concise is also helpful. Overall, your email is honest and well-written, showing that you’re focused on improving and learning more through this module.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of communication skills for engineers

Device Research Pathway - Apple Pencil Pro